Railroad in Hamburg
Author: Konrad Koschinski
The development of the railway junction in the north was very exciting because the neighbors of the city state of Hamburg paid close attention at first very much on their own interests. A milestone was the opening of the Hamburg-Altonaer Verbindungsbahn in 1866, another the commissioning of the main station from 1906. And a little later, the first AC locomotives drove between Blankenese and Ohlsdorf, laying the foundation for a high-performance city express system.
\u003c |\u003e Railway traffic was growing at a rapid pace, also due to the increasing port handling, and required the construction of efficient shunting yards. Once the locomotives were supplied and maintained in six railway depots, among the most well-known is undoubtedly the Bw Hamburg-Altona. The port railway handles a large volume of goods and has numerous bridges, including the Kattwyk lift bridge from 1973 and the recently opened Rethe bascule bridge. The numerous smaller railway companies such as the Hamburger Marschbahn and the Südstormansche Kreisbahn, which is remembered in a separate article, also had a not inconsiderable importance for the development of the Elbe metropolis.
As usual, the EJ special issue is numerous Comprehensive and sometimes large-format pictures of all epochs, among them rare historical photo documents, which are published here for the first time.
|Manufacturer: ||Verlagsgruppe Bahn|
|Manufacturer price:||12,50 €|